Keeping you safe during your workout
Find out how we're protecting you while you workout – as well as the steps you need to take to book a session, and what you'll need to before, during and after exercising with us.Read our coronavirus guidance here >
Helping you excel in your studies and your sport.
As well as a reputation for academic excellence, we also have a history of sporting success. We provide financial and specialist support to student athletes, to help maximise their sporting potential whilst studying at the University of Portsmouth.
We get that as a student athlete you’ll need to balance your training and competition, along with the pressure of achieving a high quality degree. We try and help you with this through the support of our sport scholarship scheme.
If you are competing at a regional or international level in your sport, you may be eligible for funding. Around 20 talented student athletes are awarded each year, worth between £2,000 and £6,000 each.
The scheme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality, year of study or academic course. Applications open in the summer, and scholarships are awarded at the start of the academic year in September. Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme and Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- Financial bursaries from £250 up to £3,000
- 1-to-1 coaching
- 1-to-1 strength and conditioning session
- Expert sports nutrition advice
- Free gym membership and access to facilities
- Free physio
- Media promotion and experience
- Expert sports psychology advice
- BUCS affiliation for your sports club
- Regular 1-to-1 mentoring
Three levels of scholarship
Our sport scholarships scheme runs on three levels. Each level includes the benefits listed above, plus a varying amount of financial bursaries from £250 up to £3,000, including funding for competitions and training. There are specific criteria for each level of scholarship.
To apply for a Development Scholarship, you must be an athlete who has National U18 Representation or a Top 10 Ranking at U18 Level. We will give priority to sports currently represented in the Athletic Union at the University of Portsmouth. You can also apply for this level of scholarship if one of the following applies:
- you're competing in the top domestic tier of your sport
- you can demonstrate the ability to achieve national representation
- you're selected for English Universities elite level representation
To apply for an Elite Scholarship you must be an athlete who has National Representation in Team Sports at U21 or Senior Level and are on the TASS Scheme, or identified in the Top 10 at U21 Level in your relevant sport. You can also apply for this level of sport scholarship if one of the following applies:
- if you're competing in a national U18 or U21 team
- you're competing with a national top 10 ranking at U18s
To apply for a Podium Scholarship you must have the potential to compete on the World stage and at the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games (and beyond).
This level of scholarship is reserved for exceptionally talented athletes, with funding awarded on a case-by-case basis.
We currently support 20 high performing athletes during their studies. Check out who they are, what level they compete at and what sport they do.
Frequently asked questions
- You must be enrolled or enrolling onto either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth to apply for sport scholarships.
- If you intend to study in the following academic year, your application will also be considered.
- You must also meet a specific criteria for the level of scholarship, as listed above.
- The scheme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality or academic course.
- Scholarships are awarded annually and applications are welcomed by students in any year of study.
- Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme as well as Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- Applications for the 2019/20 academic year are now open.
- Please use the form at the top of this page to be e-mailed further details and a link to our application form.
- Once you've submitted the application form, we aim to get back to you within two weeks of receiving your application with details of the next stage.
- Your initial application may be followed up with a casual discussion with our Scheme Manager, or a trial process either prior to coming to university or during pre-season.
- Once applications have closed, all applications are considered and a university panel representing a broad spectrum of higher education sport will select applicants to be awarded a level of scholarship.
- If you wish to be part of the Sports Scholarship Scheme for the 2019/20 academic year, please apply before the deadline.
- The deadline for applications is Monday 9th September 2019. Applications after this date may not be considered.
- If you are considering applying, we would encourage you to complete the application form as soon as it is available, or soon after you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
- If you are a University of Portsmouth student and currently play within a sports club, we will accept your application as soon as the current BUCS season has finished.
- Yes, our Sports Scholarship Scheme is open to all students, regardless of their year of study.
- If you are a prospective student for the next academic year we would encourage you to apply before, or soon after, you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
All recipients will be expected to sign an agreement accepting the terms and conditions of the programme.
As a Sports Scholar, you will be a representative of the University of Portsmouth. As such, you must:
- demonstrate a commitment towards your academic studies
- fully commit to representing the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions and wherever possible
- meet with the Scheme Manager at least twice a term
- keep us informed of your progress and achievements, including any success such as national or international selection
- be available for a number of press and PR opportunities over the course of the academic year
- wear Sport Scholarship clothing as provided for University of Portsmouth fixtures and other appropriate opportunities.
- Head of Sport at the University of Portsmouth, Paul Tilley, is also the Scheme Manager and responsible for all Sports Scholars.
- Within his role, he coordinates the scheme, workshops and training for all athlete scholars. He also provides one-to-one mentoring, lifestyle advice and liaises with academic staff when flexibility is required.
- If you’d like to speak with someone about our Sports Scholarship Scheme, or ask a question which isn’t answered by this page, please contact the Scheme Manager using the details below to arrange a casual chat or a visit to our facilities: