Our Sport Scholarship Programme
Helping you excel in your studies and your sport.
As well as a reputation for academic excellence, we also have a history of sporting success. We provide financial and specialist support to student athletes, to help maximise their sporting potential whilst studying at the University of Portsmouth.
We get that as a student athlete you’ll need to balance your training and competition, along with the pressure of achieving a high quality degree. We try to help you with this through the support of our sport scholarship programme.
If you are competing at national standard or above in your sport, you may be eligible for funding. Around 20 student-athletes are awarded bursaries between £500-£3000 per year.
The programme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality, year of study or academic course. Applications open in January each year, and scholarships are awarded at the start of the academic year in September. Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme and Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
To be eligible for a sports scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of national standard or above in your sport, or show strong evidence of future outstanding potential.
- Fulfil the normal entry requirements for the course of which you are applying for/currently studying.
- Be currently enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth, or in the process of applying to become a University of Portsmouth student for the next academic year.
- Be committed to playing a full part in Team UOP, and, wherever possible, be prepared to represent the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions.
"Each scholar has a competition, exam and assignment tracker helping to identify if support is needed. This really helps me, I once had two assignments due the week of a national competition and struggled to balance my training and work. The staff within the programme spoke to my personal tutor and allowed me to have a deadline extension so I could compete."
Taylor-Lei Mohan, BMX Sports Scholar
- Financial bursaries up to £3,000
- 1-to-1 Strength and conditioning sessions
- Expert sports nutrition advice
- Free gym membership and access to facilities
- Free physio and sports massage
- Media promotion and experience
- Expert sports psychology advice
- BUCS affiliation for your sports club
- Regular 1-to-1 mentoring
- Academic support and flexibility
- Lifestyle support
- University of Portsmouth branded sports kit
TASS Dual Career Accreditation
"We are committed to supporting student-athletes to reach their potential in education, alongside achieving success in their sport, and this has been formally recognised by being awarded with Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) Dual-Career accreditation."
TASS is a Sport England funded partnership between talented athletes, delivery sites and national governing bodies, who work together to bring the best out of the country's most exciting young talent. The Dual Career accreditation highlights our dedication to providing an environment where talented athletes can meet their academic and sporting potential.
Apply for a Scholarship
Applications for the 2022/23 academic year are now closed. We will be accepting applications for the 2023/24 academic year from January.
We currently support 25 high performing athletes during their studies. Check out who they are, what level they compete at and what sport they do.
Frequently asked questions
- You must be enrolled or enrolling onto either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth to apply for sport scholarships.
- If you intend to study in the following academic year, your application will also be considered.
- You must be of national standard or above in your sport, or demonstrate the ability for future potential. The level of scholarship awarded will be determined by the performance level you are at in your specific sport, and the number of applicants we have who are eligible.
- The scheme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality or academic course.
- Scholarships are awarded annually and applications are welcomed by students in any year of study.
- Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme as well as Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- Applications for the 2022-23 academic year will open on 5th February 2022.
- You will be notified that we have received your application form through an automatic email.
- Your initial application may be followed up with a casual discussion with one of our team members, or a trial process either prior to coming to university or during pre-season.
- Once applications have closed, all applications are considered and a university panel representing a broad spectrum of higher education sport will select applicants to be awarded a level of scholarship. Successful scholars will be contacted via email / phone to discuss the next steps of the prgramme.
- If you wish to be part of the Sports Scholarship Programme for the 2022-23 academic year, please apply before the deadline.
- The deadline for applications is Wednesday 31 August 2022. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
- If you are considering applying, we would encourage you to complete the application form as soon as it is available, or soon after you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
- If you are a University of Portsmouth student and currently play within a sports club, we will accept your application as soon as the current BUCS season has finished.
- Yes, our Sports Scholarship Scheme is open to all students, regardless of their year of study.
- If you are a prospective student for the next academic year we would encourage you to apply before, or soon after, you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
All recipients will be expected to sign an agreement accepting the terms and conditions of the programme.
As a Sports Scholar, you will be a representative of the University of Portsmouth. As such, you must:
- demonstrate a commitment towards your academic studies
- fully commit to representing the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions and wherever possible
- meet with the Scholarship Programme Manager at least twice a term
- keep us informed of your progress and achievements, including any success such as national or international selection
- be available for a number of press and PR opportunities over the course of the academic year
- promote the sport scholarship programme through attending events such as University Open Days, and through your social media accounts
- engage with academic and lifestyle support workshops throughout the programme
- wear Sport Scholarship clothing as provided for University of Portsmouth fixtures and other appropriate opportunities.
- If you’d like to speak with someone about our Sports Scholarship Programme, or ask a question which isn’t answered by this page, please contact us using the details below to arrange a casual chat or a visit to our facilities:
Staff Contact: Rachel Robilliard
Telephone: +44 (0) 2392 84 5555
Address: Spinnaker Sports Centre, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth. PO1 2ER