Keeping you safe during your workout
Find out how we're protecting you while you workout – as well as the steps you need to take to book a session, and what you'll need to before, during and after exercising with us.Read our coronavirus guidance here >
Our Sport Scholarship Programme
Helping you excel in your studies and your sport.
As well as a reputation for academic excellence, we also have a history of sporting success. We provide financial and specialist support to student athletes, to help maximise their sporting potential whilst studying at the University of Portsmouth.
We get that as a student athlete you’ll need to balance your training and competition, along with the pressure of achieving a high quality degree. We try to help you with this through the support of our sport scholarship programme.
If you are competing at a regional, national or international level in your sport, you may be eligible for funding. Around 20 talented student athletes are awarded each year, worth between £2,000 and £6,000 each.
The programme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality, year of study or academic course. Applications open in January each year, and scholarships are awarded at the start of the academic year in September. Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme and Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- Financial bursaries up to £3,000
- 1-to-1 Strength and conditioning sessions
- Expert sports nutrition advice
- Free gym membership and access to facilities
- Free physio and sports massage
- Media promotion and experience
- Expert sports psychology advice
- BUCS affiliation for your sports club
- Regular 1-to-1 mentoring
- Academic support and flexibility
- Lifestyle support
- University of Portsmouth branded sports kit
Three levels of scholarship
Our sport scholarships programme runs on three levels. Each level includes a variety of the benefits listed above, plus financial bursaries for the High Performance scholarships (up to £500) and Elite scholarships (up to £3,000). Student-athletes in all three levels of scholarships can apply for additional funding to support their competitions and training. There are specific criteria for each level of scholarship.
To apply for a Development Scholarship, you must be an athlete who has Regional or National representation or can demonstrate the ability to achieve national representation for any sport that sits outside of our ‘Performance Sports’.
High Performance scholarships
To apply for a High Performance Scholarship you must be an athlete who has National representation or are on the NGB performance pathway in one of our ‘Performance Team Sports’ (American Football, Badminton, Cricket, Futsal, Golf, Hockey, Men’s Rugby, Squash, Tennis and Women’s Football) or individual BUCS sport, at either Junior or Senior level.
We have sport-specific criteria and your performance level will be reviewed through the application form.
To apply for an Elite Scholarship you must have the potential to compete internationally on the World stage, at European Championships, Olympic or Paralympic games.
This level of scholarship is reserved for exceptionally talented athletes, with funding awarded on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that we have a limited number of scholarships available. Meeting the scholarship criteria does not guarantee a place on the programme.
We currently support 20 high performing athletes during their studies. Check out who they are, what level they compete at and what sport they do.
Frequently asked questions
- You must be enrolled or enrolling onto either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth to apply for sport scholarships.
- If you intend to study in the following academic year, your application will also be considered.
- You must also meet a specific criteria for the level of scholarship, as listed above.
- The scheme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality or academic course.
- Scholarships are awarded annually and applications are welcomed by students in any year of study.
- Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme as well as Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- Applications for the 2021-22 academic year are now open
- Please use the form at the top of this page to be e-mailed further details and a link to our application form.
- You will be notified that we have received your application form through an automatic email.
- Your initial application may be followed up with a casual discussion with one of our team members, or a trial process either prior to coming to university or during pre-season.
- Once applications have closed, all applications are considered and a university panel representing a broad spectrum of higher education sport will select applicants to be awarded a level of scholarship. Successful scholars will be contacted via email / phone to discuss the next steps of the prgramme.
- If you wish to be part of the Sports Scholarship Programme for the 2021-22 academic year, please apply before the deadline.
- The deadline for applications is Wednesday 1 September 2021. Applications received after this date may not be considered.
- If you are considering applying, we would encourage you to complete the application form as soon as it is available, or soon after you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
- If you are a University of Portsmouth student and currently play within a sports club, we will accept your application as soon as the current BUCS season has finished.
- Yes, our Sports Scholarship Scheme is open to all students, regardless of their year of study.
- If you are a prospective student for the next academic year we would encourage you to apply before, or soon after, you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
All recipients will be expected to sign an agreement accepting the terms and conditions of the programme.
As a Sports Scholar, you will be a representative of the University of Portsmouth. As such, you must:
- demonstrate a commitment towards your academic studies
- fully commit to representing the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions and wherever possible
- meet with the Scholarship Programme Manager at least twice a term
- keep us informed of your progress and achievements, including any success such as national or international selection
- be available for a number of press and PR opportunities over the course of the academic year
- promote the sport scholarship programme through attending events such as University Open Days, and through your social media accounts
- engage with academic and lifestyle support workshops throughout the programme
- wear Sport Scholarship clothing as provided for University of Portsmouth fixtures and other appropriate opportunities.
- If you’d like to speak with someone about our Sports Scholarship Programme, or ask a question which isn’t answered by this page, please contact us using the details below to arrange a casual chat or a visit to our facilities:
Staff Contact: Rachel Robilliard or Charlotte Doyle
Telephone: +44 (0) 2392 84 5555
Address: Spinnaker Sports Centre, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth. PO1 2ER
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for a sport scholarship for 2021-22, please complete the application form.