Helping you excel in your studies and your sport
We provide financial and specialist support to student athletes, helping maximise their sporting potential
As well as a reputation for academic excellence, we also have a history of sporting success. We provide financial and specialist support to student-athletes, to help maximise their sporting potential whilst studying at the University of Portsmouth.
We get that as a student-athlete you’ll need to balance your training and competition, along with the pressure of achieving a high-quality degree. We try to help you with this through the support of our sport scholarship programme.
If you are competing at national standard or above in your sport, you may be eligible for funding. Around 25 student-athletes are awarded bursaries between £250-£3000 per year.
The programme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality, year of study or academic course. Applications open in January each year, and scholarships are awarded at the start of the academic year in September. Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme and Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case-by-case basis.
To be eligible for a sports scholarship, applicants must:
- Be of national standard or above in your sport
- Fulfil the normal entry requirements for the course of which you are applying for/currently studying.
- Be currently enrolled on an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth, or in the process of applying to become a University of Portsmouth student for the next academic year.
- Be committed to playing a full part in Team UOP, and, wherever possible, be prepared to represent the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions.
"Each scholar has a competition, exam and assignment tracker helping to identify if support is needed. This really helps me, I once had two assignments due the week of a national competition and struggled to balance my training and work. The staff within the programme spoke to my personal tutor and allowed me to have a deadline extension so I could compete."
Taylor-Lei Mohan, BMX Sports Scholar
- Financial bursaries up to £3,000
- 1-to-1 Strength and conditioning sessions
- Expert sports nutrition advice
- Free gym membership and access to facilities
- Free physio and sports massage
- Media promotion and experience
- Expert sports psychology advice
- BUCS affiliation for your sports club
- Regular 1-to-1 mentoring
- Academic support and flexibility
- Lifestyle support
- University of Portsmouth branded sports kit
Tass Dual Career Accreditation
"We are committed to supporting student-athletes to reach their potential in education, alongside achieving success in their sport, and this has been formally recognised by being awarded with Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) Dual-Career accreditation."
TASS is a Sport England funded partnership between talented athletes, delivery sites and national governing bodies, who work together to bring the best out of the country's most exciting young talent. The Dual Career accreditation highlights our dedication to providing an environment where talented athletes can meet their academic and sporting potential.
Apply for a Scholarship
Applications for the 2023/24 academic year are now OPEN. Please complete the application form below.
- You must be enrolled or enrolling onto either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree course at the University of Portsmouth to apply for sport scholarships.
- If you intend to study in the following academic year, your application will also be considered.
- You must be of national standard or above in your sport, or demonstrate the ability for future potential. The level of scholarship awarded will be determined by the performance level you are at in your specific sport, and the number of applicants we have who are eligible.
- The scheme is open to all students, irrespective of nationality or academic course.
- Scholarships are awarded annually and applications are welcomed by students in any year of study.
- Focus is given to sports within the BUCS programme as well as Olympic and Paralympic sports, with other sports considered on a case by case basis.
- To apply for scholarship, please complete the application form on this page by the 31st July.
- You will be notified that we have received your application form through an automatic email.
- If you meet the criteria, your initial application may be followed up with an interview with one of our team members, or a trial process either prior to coming to university or during pre-season.
- If successful at the interview stage, your application will be considered after the deadline, where our panel will meet to select and award scholarships. The panel consist of a broad spectrum of sport staff and student representatives.
- Successful scholars will be contacted via email / phone to discuss the next steps of the programme.
- If you wish to be part of the Sports Scholarship Programme for the 2023-24 academic year, please apply before the deadline (31st July 2023).
- Applications will be open from December 2022 - June 2023. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.
- If you are considering applying, we would encourage you to complete the application form as soon as it is available, or soon after you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
- Yes, our Sports Scholarship Scheme is open to all students, regardless of their year of study.
- If you are a prospective student for the next academic year we would encourage you to apply before, or soon after, you mark the University of Portsmouth as your final UCAS choice.
All recipients will be expected to sign an agreement accepting the terms and conditions of the programme.
As a Sports Scholar, you will be a representative of the University of Portsmouth. As such, you must:
- demonstrate a commitment towards your academic studies
- fully commit to representing the University of Portsmouth in BUCS competitions and wherever possible
- meet with the Scholarship Programme Manager at least twice a term
- keep us informed of your progress and achievements, including any success such as national or international selection
- be available for a number of press and PR opportunities over the course of the academic year
- promote the sport scholarship programme through attending events such as University Open Days, and through your social media accounts
- engage with academic and lifestyle support workshops throughout the programme
- wear Sport Scholarship clothing as provided for University of Portsmouth fixtures and other appropriate opportunities.
- If you’d like to speak with someone about our Sports Scholarship Programme, or ask a question which isn’t answered by this page, please contact us using the details below to arrange a casual chat or a visit to our facilities:
Staff Contact: Rachel Robilliard
Telephone: +44 (0) 2392 84 5555
Address: Ravelin Sports Centre, Cambridge Road, Portsmouth. PO1 2SE