Your method of travel can have a big impact on your health and the environment
When it comes to staying active, we tend to think of intense workouts, long-distance running or lifting heavy weights, but it can be much simpler. Instead of using your car or a taxi, why not try active travel when visiting Ravelin Sports Centre, or our Langstone Sports Site?
Ravelin Sports Centre is situated in the heart of our campus in an easily accessible location. The surrounding Ravelin Park and our close proximity to the seafront makes active travel the ideal way to get to us. Langstone Sports Site is located at the picturesque Langstone Harbour, also an ideal location for exploring on foot or cycling.
Ways to actively travel to us:
- Cycling - Ravelin Sports Centre has space for loads of bikes in secure, well-lit bike racks. The area around the centre has plenty of bike lanes to help you get around too. Be sure to use a strong D-lock (ideally two to secure your bike.
- Walking - Most University buildings and halls are around a ten-minute walk away from Ravelin Sports Centre. The Library and Students’ Union are right next door, meaning that walking to and from the centre is ideal.
- Running - Ravelin Sports Centre is situated in Ravelin Park, close to Southsea Common. The re-landscaped area around the centre is the perfect place to start or end a walk or jog.
Reasons to consider active travel
- Benefits physical, mental and social health
- Reduces traffic congestion
- Reduces air pollution
- Reduces carbon emissions and helps us to reach net-zero carbon goals
So, not only will active travel benefit you, it will benefit the city as a whole too. Ravelin Sports Centre is one of the UK’s most sustainable sports centres, so we strongly encourage you to consider the environment when travelling to and from the facility. Visit our sustainability page to find out more about the design of our outstanding sports centre.
Ravelin Sports Centre also has very convenient bus links, with bus stops just outside linking to all areas of the city.
Buses are a great way to reduce emissions in comparison to driving a car. You also never have to worry about a parking space.
Search for Ravelin Sports Centre on Google Maps and click on Transit for easy bus directions.
We have a number of e-scooter stations near to Ravelin Sports Centre, the closest one being on the corner of Burnaby Road, right outside HMS Temeraire and another close station on St. Michael's Road. Remember to check the rules on the Voi App before riding to ensure that you don't put yourself or others in danger. There are also two e-scooter stations right next to Langstone Sports Site, one is located at the Locksway Road end, near the Thatched House and the other at the opposite end of the bus lane, where is meets Sanderling Road.
Use the map below to view bike rack locations around campus. All of our sporting facilities have bike racks on-site including Langstone Sports Centre.