Learn a new skill, improve your existing skills or build your confidence
We love nothing more than planning our week and booking in for our swim slot, gym sessions and fitness classes but sometimes we want more. We want to learn a new skill and develop in other ways than we’re used to. Our courses are great for just that. Taking part in a course offers a multitude of reasons for you to enhance your overall well-being and achieve a healthier, more vibrant lifestyle.
We offer a range of courses throughout the year from swimming lessons, to climbing and fitness courses all designed to help you learn new skills.
What are the benefits of doing a course?
- Expert Guidance: Our courses are led by qualified instructors who possess the knowledge and experience to help you learn in a safe and effective environment. Our expertise ensures that you perform exercises correctly, minimising the risk of injury.
- Structured Workouts: Having a set time each week and with the same group helps you create a structured routine. We develop you through the stages to give you the best opportunity to learn new things and build confidence through your workout.
- Accountability: Regular classes instil a sense of accountability, making it more likely for you to stick to your session and boost your skills. Knowing that others expect you to turn up can be a powerful motivator.
- Variety and Fun: Our courses often incorporate a variety of exercises and activities, keeping workouts engaging and enjoyable. The social aspect of group classes can also make the experience more fun.
- Supportive Community: Taking part in a course connects you with like-minded individuals, creating a supportive community that encourages and motivates each other. Better still you have an instant group of people to help you continue after your course.
- Health Benefits: Regular exercise improves physical health, reducing the risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, and obesity. It also boosts mental health by reducing stress and anxiety while increasing mood-enhancing endorphins.
- Skill Development: Many courses, such as Pilates, or self-defence, teach new skills that can be both physically and mentally rewarding.
Overall a course not only helps you achieve your fitness goals but also offers a holistic approach to overall well-being, fostering a healthier and happier life. It combines professional guidance, community support, and structured workouts to make the journey to better health an enjoyable and sustainable one.
Current and upcoming courses
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 2.00pm - 3.00pm
- Starts on Tuesday 14 November, running for six weeks
- £45 for members
- £55 for non-members
ESCAPE-pain for backs is designed to benefit people with chronic low back pain. The programme will not cure, nor eliminate pain completely. However, it aims to reduce pain, improve physical function, self-confidence, sense of being in control of problems, and the depression and frustration that is often felt with chronic pain.
It is a 6-week programme with attendance encouraged twice a week. Each session is a 15-20 min discussion focused on helping to support self-management and followed by 40-45 min of exercise.
Self Defence Course
- Currently running - next course due to start in the new year
- £45 for members
- £67.50 for non-members
- Book here or at Ravelin Sports Centre reception
Foundation six week self defence course; designed and developed to be simple and effective, this self-defence course consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from different fighting methods adapted to be for real life situations. The class will include a mixture of specific conditioning, cardio, technique drills, all around striking and ground fighting. You will also work with a partner on kick shields and pads as well as stress drills to try and simulate real scenarios.