St. Paul’s Gym, Spinnaker Sports Centre and Langstone Sports Site will be reopening on Wednesday 2 December.
We’re sure you will have seen the recent announcement that the second national lockdown will be ending on Tuesday 1 December with Portsmouth going into Tier 2. St. Paul's Gym will be re-opening on Wednesday 2 December at 9am. We are adjusting our opening hours until 18 December and will be open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, however, on Friday 18 December we will be closing at 12pm in line with the rest of the university. Langstone Sports Site will be re-opening from Wednesday 2 December until Friday 18 December.
How does this affect me?
Health and fitness memberships
All health and fitness memberships have been frozen and you will not be charged until we re-open in the new year. Members on fixed term memberships such as our 1, 3, 6 and 12-month memberships will have the time added to the end of your membership - ready to use when we re-open. Payments have been stopped for direct-debit and staff deduction members and will be reinstated when we re-open in January.
Indoor and outdoor facilities
St Paul's Gym will have some adjustments to our opening times starting from Wednesday 2 December:
- Monday - Friday, 9am-5pm.
- Friday 18 December, 9am-12pm
- Weekends, closed
Spinnaker Sports Centre will be closed to support mass testing. All fitness classes will remain online until Sunday 10 January.
Langstone Sports Site will be open as normal.
How to book your gym session
- Book your gym session using our UOP Sport mobile app
- Swipe yourself into the gym at your selected time using your card
Non-member students (up until Christmas any student can come and use our gym for free during our opening hours).
- Download our UOP Sport mobile app and create an account (no membership required)
- Book your gym session through the UOP Sport mobile app (this will not charge you)
- Sign in at reception with your student card
Sports club activity
All delivery of physical sports club activity will not restart until Monday 4 January. For the most up to date information and activities please follow @UOPsport and @TeamUOP on Instagram and join our Team UOP Facebook group.
FREE live classes, on-demand workouts and our back catalogue
Exercise is vitally important, and keeping your immune system over the festive period is important. Our Facebook Live classes will continue to be delivered until Friday 18 December. Over the Christmas break, we'll be visiting the archives so you can stay active each day. Simply follow our Facebook page and be notified of when we go live. In the new year, we'll be delivering classes through Facebook Live between Monday 4 - Sunday 10 January until we understand which tier Portsmouth is in when we return.
We have over 6 months worth of fitness classes in a range of areas - be sure to check them out.
Looking after your mental health
For some, this can be a worrying time and we’re keen to ensure as well as physical health you look after your mental health. Student Minds have some great advice during this difficult time, here are some tips to stay healthy.
- Create a daily routine, exercise, set meal times, time to work and time to stay in contact.
- Do things you enjoy, read, watch Netflix, or why not learn a new skill?
- Stay in touch with friends and family, phone people, Skype or Facetime.
- Keeping up to date with information can help you feel in control, but do take breaks from social media if it gets too much and listen to reputable news items (gov.uk)
- Keep up to date with the University, it can help to have a focus and it’s a great time to do some distraction-free revision.
General coronavirus guidance
For detailed information about the preparations the University is making in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19) – and for answers to any questions you might have about the current situation – please visit the University's Coronavirus Information page.