Keeping you safe during your workout
Find out how we're protecting you while you workout – as well as the steps you need to take to book a session, and what you'll need to before, during and after exercising with us.Read our coronavirus guidance here >
Sign up for a staff deduction membership for only £17.99 per month
We know how it is, work stresses, home stresses, and then somehow you need to fit exercise in to the mix without sacrificing anything else. Exercise can be a great de-stress and can really lift your mood at anytime, before, during or after work, so build it into your working day with our staff deduction membership.
You can get a different kind of work done in your lunch hour, you'll put your body under stress rather than your mind, you'll improve your mood and concentration and if you're in the gym early, you'll get a parking space
A staff deduction membership covers all your fitness needs and wants, whatever your interest. Benefits include:
- Unlimited gym use
- A wide range of fitness classes available in term time
- FREE access to our Mobile Apps
- Discount on our 5-week courses
- Discount on our personal training packages
Real staff, real experiences
Interim University Librarian
Although I joined the gym just after I started with the University over 7 years ago, I had a bit of a fear of using it based on experiences with other gym environments. It was only about 3 years ago that I actively started to make use of the facilities.
This was entirely due to the supportive nature of all the staff, they always do everything possible to make you feel welcome. I mainly use the gym and the fabulous personal training programme but play badminton occasionally. I love that there is much more on offer than I take up.
I have been a member for 5 years, right from the start it was a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The staff are always friendly and welcoming – even if it is 7am when I see them! They're approachable and there for support and advice should I need it. They always work hard to keep the gym tidy and clean.
The instructors are fantastically motivational in classes – when I started working here I really didn't think I would ever enjoy doing classes but now it's become something I look forward to in my day! They are skilled in what they teach and I always come away feeling like I have worked hard, learnt something new and been challenged!
I became a member back in January 2011. I find the classes to be really good, there are activities that are good for core strengthening (important for my bad back) aerobic ones and some that are more about having fun such as Zumba. The activities are creatively devised and enthusiastically delivered by great instructors.
There's a very upbeat atmosphere at Spinnaker Sports Centre (where the classes take place) and the staff seem to know everyone by their first names, which makes you feel welcome and valued. I also use the gym which is useful for times when my work commitments prevent me from attending classes. All in all it is a superb facility and well worth becoming a member.
I've been a member of the gym for 2 years now and am really happy with the experience. I've played racket sports such as table tennis and badminton with my Dad on weekends. The only issue, my Dad's way better than me so I'm always buying the round after!
I love Yoga, which has helped my back pain so much and is a BRILLIANT class. It's really strengthened my back and got me into a much better place over the past year. I enjoy the encouragement and professionalism of our Sport and Rec staff the most. Everyone's happy and passionate about what they do, they put me in a good mood for the rest of the day!
Benefits of exercise
Regular exercise can bring a number of benefits to both your body and mind. Some of these benefits are especially useful for when you're experiencing periods of high-stress or anxiety. Dedicating just 30 minutes of activity a day is all you need to start seeing these benefits.
- Improve memory
- Lengthen attention span
- Boost decision making skills
- Improve multitasking
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce stress and improve mood
- Increase energy levels
- Improve immune system
- Reduce anxiety
- Achieve better sleep
Try our tips to success for your health:
- If you have a desk job, try to walk around at least every hour aiming for at least 10,000 steps a day to build up your non exercise activity.
- Try to reach the minimum recommended physical activity guidelines* of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity, or an equivalent of both. As well as at least 2 muscle strengthening activities using major muscle groups (our fitness classes or personal trainers can help with these).
- Why not plan out the following week of exercise on a Thursday or Friday, so you're ready when Monday comes to reach your targets.
- Once you know when you'll exercise, block out your diary. Give yourself 15 minutes before, the time of your workout and time to shower/change afterwards.
- Keep a record of what you've done, so you can track your progress. Use a fitness tracker app, or use our UOP Gym app (free for members) to track your fitness and progress.
We offer a variety of options if you want to take your training to the next level or need extra motivation to reach your goals, such as:
- Personal training
- 1-2-1 sessions
- Bespoke programmes
We offer 5-week fitness courses, delivered to small groups and discounted for members. These include:
- Krav Maga
- Transformation Challenge
Friendly and supportive
Our staff are extremely friendly and supportive, helping you on your journey and getting you to reach your goals:
- Personable and friendly
- Knowledgeable and supportive
- Helpful and resourceful